Saturday, July 31, 2021

Guest Designer Spotlight: Birthday Cards with Michelle Short

Hello there, Michelle Short here and I am delighted to be back guesting here on the Sunny Studio Blog. When I saw the latest release, I fell in love with everything! What an amazing release! I had to narrow down what I wanted to use, so for today’s cards, I am using the fabulous Cupcake Shaped Die, Chloe Alphabet Dies and Looking Sharp. Perfect for Birthday cards, which is what I am sharing with you today.

Sunny Studio Stamps: Cupcake Shaped Die Chloe Alphabet Dies Birthday Card by Michelle Short

My first card uses the fabulous Cupcake Shaped Die. I love creating shaped cards, but it is not always easy to get the shape correct. With this set of dies all the work is done for you! You simply need to cut the dies from cardstock or patterned paper and you are good to go! I started off my card by die cutting the cupcake base card twice from white cardstock, as well as the frosting, candle and sprinkles. I then cut the cake and the cupcake wrapper from a kraft cardstock. Using Copic Markers, I coloured the elements to add texture, depth and shading. I also added highlights with a white gel pen.

Although you can adhere the elements directly to the cupcake card base (or leave it off, if you want to add the cupcake to a traditional card base), I decided to piece the elements together first and add tape to the back to hold them in place. I then added foam tape and adhered the pieces, as one, to the cupcake card base. I took the back portion of the card base and made a score line a quarter of the way down. I adhered this piece to the back of the front base, so that the card can stand up and open easily.

Sunny Studio Stamps: Cupcake Shaped Die Chloe Alphabet Dies Birthday Card by Michelle Short

I took the sentiment from the Looking Sharp set, masked it off so that only ‘birthday’ would stamp and stamped it on to white cardstock with black ink. I coloured the piece with a matching Copic Marker that I used on the cupcake and cut it in to a strip. It was added to the card with foam tape. I took the Chloe Alphabet Dies and cut them from white cardstock, as well as white glitter cardstock. The letters for ‘wishes’ were layered up so that the glitter letter was adhered to the white cardstock one (for extra dimension) and then added them to the card. This was such a fun card to make and that cupcake is good enough to eat! ;)


Sunny Studio Stamps: Looking Sharp Birthday Card by Michelle Short
 
My next card uses the Looking Sharp set. This is another really fun set! I love that the set has faces that you can stamp on to the cacti. You can stamp them on the cactus themselves, on to the pots like I have or not at all! So versatile! I started off my card by stamping three of the cacti on to white cardstock with black ink. I also stamped the party hat and bow. They were coloured with Copic Markers and die cut out using the Looking Sharp Dies. I set them aside while I worked on my background.


Sunny Studio Stamps: Looking Sharp Birthday Card by Michelle Short
 
I took an A2 white card base and masked off the edges. Using ink blending brushes, I blended on Black Soot Distress Ink at the bottom and Peacock Feathers at the top. I removed the masks and then stamped the sentiment from the set at the top, using more black ink. The cacti were adhered with foam tape at the bottom. I felt like the scene was missing something, so I took the balloon image from the Oceans of Joy set and stamped, coloured and die cut it. I drew a line from the cactus with a black fine liner and then adhered the balloon on top with foam tape. To finish off, I added white gel pen highlights.

 

That’s it from me today but I will be back in a couple of weeks with another guest spot as I have more cards to share! Thanks so much for stopping by, have a great day!


Sunny Studio Supplies Used:


Oceans of Joy Dies
Oceans of Joy Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Oceans of Joy Stamps
Oceans of Joy Stamps
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Looking Sharp Stamps
Looking Sharp Stamps
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Looking Sharp Dies
Looking Sharp Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Chloe Alphabet Dies
Chloe Alphabet Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Cupcake Shape Dies
Cupcake Shape Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment