Sunday, November 20, 2022

Introducing Dashing Dachshund + Blick Studio Brush Markers Review

Hello & welcome!  I'm excited to be kicking off Black Friday week with several card ideas featuring our new little Dashing Dachshund Stamps and Dies which you can receive as a free gift with a $45+ purchase starting today through November 28, 2022.

Card No. 1: This 2x3 mini stamp set comes packed with a leaping dachshund pup, a dog sweater, two hat options, a pair of reindeer antlers, and a punny sentiment. For this card I stacked three of the dogs, alternating the lines of the sentiment between them. For my card base, I added colorful scalloped patterned paper to either side of my portrait-style card from our Joyful Holiday Paper pack. I then added stitching on my white cardstock panel and the scalloped edge along the bottom of my card I used our Slimline Basic Border Dies, cut from our Classic Gingham Paper. All my dogs and their sweaters were colored to match the patterned paper using the Blick Studio Brush Markers.

Punny Dog Handmade Holiday Christmas Card (using Blick Studio Brush Markers & Sunny Studio Dashing Dachshund Stamps)

Card No. 2: Next up is a card that shows these cuties dashing through the snow. I used the Blick Studio Brush Markers to ink my sky, color the dogs with their accessories and to add a blue glow to the snow. I curved my greeting from the stamp set on a piece of acetate in my MISTI tool so that it would follow the curve of my hand-cut snow hill and stamped it using VersaFine Onyx Black Ink Pad.
Sunny Studio Punny Snowflake Holiday Christmas Card (using Dashing Dachshund Stamps Black Friday 2022 Free Gift with $40 Purchase)

I then mounted my scene on the colorful hexagon patterned print from our Holiday Cheer Paper pack and added some snowflakes cut from our Classic Gingham Paper using our Snowflake Circle Frame Dies which I topped with our Red Zircon Jewels, Peridot Green Jewels and Blue Topaz Jewels

Handmade Holiday Colorful Dog & Snowflake Christmas Card (using Blick Studio Brush Alcohol Markers & Sunny Studio Dashing Dachshund Stamps)

I created a 2-minute sped-up reel for instagram of my coloring using these markers for this card. However, if you would like to see how I made this card at a less frantic pace, I have also uploaded the 5-minute version that you can watch on our YouTube channel HERE.


Card No. 3: For my last card I paired the Dashing Dachshund with the doghouse and other dogs from our Puppy Parents Stamps, with the butterflies from our Spring Showers Stamps and our Picket Fence Dies. For my background I inked up my sky with Salty Ocean Distress ink, flicked on some water and then die-cut the stitched clouds using our Fluffy Cloud Dies. I completed my card by adding the greeting stacking a few of our Hello Word Die. For my grass I flicked on blades of grass using the Blick Studio Brush Markers.
Dogs with Doghouse Hello Handmade Card (using Blick Studio Brush Alcohol Markers & Sunny Studio Dashing Dachshund Stamps)

As noted for all my images today, I colored them using Blick Studio Brush MarkersTo provide a little backstory, my mom received a small set of these markers as a Christmas gift last year. I was immediately intrigued by their high-end quality and their amazing price point. Testing out her set I realized she had a number of colors I didn't have in my stash and after that I really wanted to know what other colors they made that I might not have. It became a bit of an obsessive thought that I couldn't shake. Months later I still was thinking about them, searching google every couple weeks to see if a color chart had been posted that that would give me the information I so desperately wanted. When nothing ever materialized I finally reached out to Blick Art Materials to see if they would be willing to collaborate with Sunny Studio and I'm so happy they took me up on my offer! I'm really hoping this information will help others who have also been searching for more information about these awesome markers.

The Blick Studio Brush Markers measure 5-11/16" in length, have high quality replaceable flexible brush and chisel tip nibs, and are also refillable. At this moment, there are only refills for the original 96 colors, but I'm praying they will add them for the full 144 pen line-up in the future.


If you purchase their complete 144-Marker Set, the pens come in a premium storage box with magnetic closure lid and full color chart for reference. It's quite impressive and nice to work with. Even better this set makes each individual marker a pretty unbeatable price point!

Sunny Studio Blog: Dick Blick Art Materials Blick Studio Brush Markers 144-count Pen Set with Storage Box Organizer

Sunny Studio Blog: Dick Blick Art Materials Blick Studio Brush Markers 144-count Pen Set with Storage Box Organizer

I have created a swatch chart to fit all 144 colors in the order that they come brand new in the box (download and/or print a blank chart HERE). You can click on my image to view it larger.
Sunny Studio Blog: Dick Blick Art Materials Blick Studio Brush Markers 144-count Swatch Color Chart Swatches

I also created a second chart rearranging them into rainbow order, grouping them by color blend families. However, there were a few colors that I couldn't get to fit in with their preferred rows (hello Magenta) so I had to do my best to plug them in their next best option. You can download and/or print the blank version of this chart HERE.
Sunny Studio Blog: Dick Blick Art Materials Blick Studio Brush Markers 144-count Swatch Chart Organized by Color Blend Families
The black dots on my chart indicate colors that are unique to this line of alcohol markers. I was delighted to discover that many of them don't overlap and they fill so many color gaps I've been dying to have filled! I'm particularly tickled by many of the pinks, yellows, greens, purples and periwinkles. I'm also very excited for the Lt. Cerulean Blue which is a shade lighter than B21 and has been high on my wish list.

I love that Dick Blick also offers mix-and-match quantity discounts on their open stock markers so you can take advantage of a cheaper everyday price, even when buying different individual colors you may need. They also have some pretty sweet deals on their 6-pen sets!

Other Supplies Used:
Picket Fence Border Dies
Picket Fence Border Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Tsukineko Jumbo Dauber
Tsukineko Jumbo Dauber
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Versafine Onyx Black Ink
Versafine Onyx Black Ink
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Hello Word Die
Hello Word Die
Shop at:
Sunny Studio

Holiday Cheer 6x6 Paper
Holiday Cheer 6x6 Paper
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Puppy Parents Stamps
Puppy Parents Stamps
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Puppy Parents Dies
Puppy Parents Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Fluffy Clouds Dies
Fluffy Clouds Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Snowflake Circle Frame
Snowflake Circle Frame
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Spring Showers Stamps
Spring Showers Stamps
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Spring Showers Dies
Spring Showers Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Slimline Basic Borders
Slimline Basic Borders
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Slimline Scalloped Frame
Slimline Scalloped Frame
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Joyful Holiday Paper
Joyful Holiday Paper
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Red Zircon Jewels
Red Zircon Jewels
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Peridot Green Jewels
Peridot Green Jewels
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Classic Gingham 6x6 Paper
Classic Gingham 6x6 Paper
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Blue Topaz Jewels
Blue Topaz Jewels
Shop at:
Sunny Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment