Saturday, August 18, 2018

Guest Designer Spotlight: Cards with Leanne West

Hi everyone! Leanne West here and I’m back again to share three cards I’ve made featuring some of the fall release products. This time I’ve focused on using some of the stand alone dies along with the pattern paper. There’s very little stamping on these cards. Only the sentiments are stamped. I rarely make cards that are this die cut heavy but I thoroughly enjoyed the process and I’m so happy with the results.  

Sunny Studio Stamps: Nutty For You Fall Flicks Filmstrip Comic Strip Everyday Fall Themed Cards by Leanne West

First up is a card that features the Nutty For You dies. This was such an easy card to make but really packs a punch with the oversized acorns. Instead of using all solid card stock for my die cuts, I decided to jazz it up a bit by using some of the Amazing Argyle and Gingham Jewel Tones pattern paper for the body of the acorn. I kept the sentiment simple by stamping and heat embossing “autumn” from the Fall Kiddos stamp set and adding the die cut “greetings” from the Greetings Word die. I used some vellum behind the acorns to help them stand out from the A2 sized kraft card base.  

Sunny Studio Stamps: Nutty For You Fall Flicks Filmstrip Comic Strip Everyday Fall Themed Cards by Leanne West

For my second card I wanted to create a fall scene using the Fall Flicks Filmstrip dies. This set contains dies to build tiny sunflowers and pumpkins and I thought it would be fun to make them out of the Gingham Jewel Tones pattern paper. This paper is double sided and I used both sides. The rolling hills were created using the Woodland Borders dies. I decided to also have some fun with the sentiment. I thought the large Happy Word die is such a wonderful contrast in size to the tiny sunflowers and pumpkins. The stamped part of the sentiment is from Fall Kiddos.  

Sunny Studio Stamps: Nutty For You Fall Flicks Filmstrip Comic Strip Everyday Fall Themed Cards by Leanne West

For my final card I’ve created another fall scene, but this time I used some of the Comic Strip Everyday dies. Again I’ve cut most of the pieces to build the scene out of the Gingham Jewel Tones pattern papers. I think the gingham paper makes beautiful fall foliage for the trees. The stamped sentiment is from the Beautiful Autumn stamp set.  

I wanted to share a few tips that helped streamline the process of all the die cutting for building these scenes. When having to make a lot of cuts with tiny dies, I found that a small die cutting machine like the Sizzix Sidekick was very convenient. I was able to have the Sidekick right next me on my desk. I also found it very helpful to have the card stock and pattern paper I was using for each card trimmed down into small pieces - about 2” by 4” in size. That size fits perfectly through the Sidekick and I could still get many cuts out of it.  It’s good to have a pair of tweezers or a jewel picker to handle the die cut pieces. I used a quick drying liquid adhesive in a bottle with a needle nose tip for gluing the pieces together. This was especially helpful with the parts of the house since they are extra tiny. And if you are like me and have trouble deciding on colors, just go ahead and cut out more than you need in multiple colors/patterns. That way you can play around with the pieces like a puzzle until you get just right combination.  

I hope I’ve offered you some fall inspiration for using these fabulous new products from Sunny Studio. These cards were so fun to make and I now have big love for tiny dies!! Thanks so much for joining me today! Happy Crafting!! 

Sunny Studio Supplies Used:

Gingham Jewel Tones 6x6 Paper
Gingham Jewel Tones 6x6 Paper
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Amazing Argyle 6x6 Paper
Amazing Argyle 6x6 Paper
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Beautiful Autumn Stamps
Beautiful Autumn Stamps
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Comic Strip Everyday Dies
Comic Strip Everyday Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Fall Flicks Filmstrip Dies
Fall Flicks Filmstrip Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Fall Kiddos Stamps
Fall Kiddos Stamps
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Greetings Word Die
Greetings Word Die
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Happy Word Die
Happy Word Die
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Nutty For You Dies
Nutty For You Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Woodland Borders Dies
Woodland Borders Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio

7 comments:

  1. Really clever cards. Love the use of the pattern paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Barbara! I’m very happy you liked the card! :)

      Delete
  2. These cards have my fall-loving heart singing!!! These cards are so creative and cheerful!! For example, I never would've thought to use the patterned paper for these die-cuts!!! Yet they look fantastic!
    Thanks so much for sharing these great ideas and the beauty of these designs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Denise for your sweet comment! I’m so happy you like the cards and given you some inspiration :)

      Delete
  3. All of the cards are just wonderful but I do have a favorite...I love the house with the pattern paper trees.

    ReplyDelete