Saturday, May 7, 2022

Guest Designer Spotlight: Lovely Lilacs & Watering Can Cards with Leanne West

Hello everyone, Leanne here with you! I'm so glad to be back here on the blog today. I have two spring inspired cards to share with you. I was so excited to play with the new Lovely Lilacs layering stamp set. We have lilac bushes growing in our backyard and I look forward to seeing them bloom every year in the spring.  

Sunny Studio Stamps: Lovely Lilacs & Watering Can Card by Leanne West (featuring Frilly Frame Dies)

As I was stamping out the lilacs, I could almost smell their wonderful fragrance. I combined the Lovely Lilacs set with another new stamp set, Watering Can, to create two pretty cards that could be used for a spring birthday or Mother's Day.  

For the first design I started with an A2 size note card. I added a big bouquet of lilacs coming out the top of the watering can to make a nice big arrangement. This fills the card front nicely.

Sunny Studio Stamps: Lovely Lilacs & Watering Can Card by Leanne West (featuring Frilly Frame Dies)

You really would not have to add much else but I did decide to take the design up a notch by adding the Frilly Frames Lattice layer behind the arrangement.  I also added a couple butterflies which are included in the Watering Can set. I choose to finish off the card by attaching a small tag, using the Stitched Arch Diessaying "hello".

Sunny Studio Stamps: Lovely Lilacs & Watering Can Card by Leanne West (featuring Chloe Alphabet Dies)

The second card is a mini slimline design. This time I've used the Lovely Lilacs and Watering Can sets to create a simplistic garden scene where the can is tilted slightly like it's watering the lilacs.  

I've added a bold greeting to complete the design. I used the Chloe Alphabet Letters to spell out the word "spring". I stamped the word "greetings". This stamp is from another layering set, Timeless Tulips

Sunny Studio Stamps: Lovely Lilacs & Watering Can Card by Leanne West (featuring Chloe Alphabet Dies)

I love how detailed the lilac images turned out on both of these cards. I'll let you in on a little secret ... I only used two different shades of purple ink for the lilacs even though there are more than two stamp layers for each image. The way I was able to get by with only using two inks is the "stamping off" and "double stamping" methods. When stamping the very first lilac layer, I would apply ink and then stamp onto a scrap piece of card stock first. This lightens the ink color when stamped again without re-inking the stamp. I stamped the second lilac layer normally. For the third layer of the lilac image I would double stamp it to create a darker color. The double stamping method is simply stamping the image twice with the same ink. 

You'll find a list of all the ink colors I've used for these cards below:
Lilacs - Catherine Pooler Sweet Sixteen & Sugared Lavender
Butterflies - Catherine Pooler Limoncello, Tiki Torch, & Twilight
Peach Watering Can - Distress Oxide Tattered Rose & Shabby Shutters
Green Watering Can - Altenew Frayed Leaf & Forest Glade
Blue background color - Salvaged Patina Distress Oxide

Sunny Studio Supplies Used:

Timeless Tulips Stamps
Timeless Tulips Stamps
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Chloe Alphabet Dies
Chloe Alphabet Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Frilly Frames Lattice Dies
Frilly Frames Lattice Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Stitched Arch Dies
Stitched Arch Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Lovely Lilacs Stamps
Lovely Lilacs Stamps
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Lovely Lilacs Dies
Lovely Lilacs Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Watering Can Stamps
Watering Can Stamps
Shop at:
Sunny Studio
Watering Can Dies
Watering Can Dies
Shop at:
Sunny Studio

1 comment: