Saturday, May 20, 2017

Guest Designer Spotlight: Cards & Video Tutorials by Nina Marie Trapani

I'm so excited to welcome Nina Marie Trapani to the blog today as our special guest. She has some gorgeous cards that you are going to just love!  

Hello crafters, it's Nina Marie here! Today I’ve got two cards to share with you that both feature stamp layering. They are simple and fun to make, plus are easy to mail; what could be better than that?
Sunny Studio Stamps: Perfect Popsicles and Two Scoops Guest Spotlight Cards by Nina Marie Trapani

I’m sharing these cards today as a guest post for Sunny Studio Stamps. Mendi – the creator and owner of Sunny Studio – is a good friend of mine and I always love supporting her company as often as I can by making cards with her fun products. Here’s a look at the two cards I made … each use the same general technique but both look completely different!
Sunny Studio Stamps: Perfect Popsicles and Two Scoops Guest Spotlight Cards by Nina Marie Trapani

Sunny Studio Stamps: Perfect Popsicles and Two Scoops Guest Spotlight Cards by Nina Marie Trapani

For these cards, I am using some of her newest stamps - Perfect Popsicles and Two Scoops. There are also coordinating dies available for both sets (see the Perfect Popsicle dies and Two Scoops dies).
On the first card with the adorable mint chocolate chip ice cream cone I was being very conscious of the fact that I was going to be making this particular card for my dad. When I create a “guy card”, I like to make them clean-lined and no frills. Guy cards can be a struggle for many of us I know, so I find it helpful to keep them clean and simple.


Sunny Studio Stamps: Perfect Popsicles and Two Scoops Guest Spotlight Cards by Nina Marie Trapani

I chose to make a mint chocolate chip ice cream cone because it is my favorite ice cream flavor (plus I think its more interesting). I used inks from both Simon Says Stamp and Altenew for my stamping. You can find the colors listed below:
•  Ice cream scoops: Mint and Mint Candy
•  Chocolate chip sprinkles: Dark Chocolate
•  Cone: Paper Bag and Caramel Toffee
Sunny Studio Stamps: Perfect Popsicles and Two Scoops Guest Spotlight Cards by Nina Marie Trapani 

Next I made a background behind the ice cream cone; I used a couple of the stamp layering images and stamped a tone-on-tone pattern. For those of you new to the term, tone-on-tone stamping is where you stamp a pattern onto paper using an ink shade that is very close or slightly darker than the paper you are stamping onto.
To create the tone-on-tone effect on this card, I paired Lipstick Red ink and cardstock from Simon Says Stamp together.
Sunny Studio Stamps: Perfect Popsicles and Two Scoops Guest Spotlight Cards by Nina Marie Trapani

For the greeting, I heat embossed a sentiment from the Perfect Popsicles set in white embossing powder.
My next card came as an idea that I had while creating the card above! This one is completely one layer and features the Perfect Popsicles set.


Sunny Studio Stamps: Perfect Popsicles and Two Scoops Guest Spotlight Cards by Nina Marie Trapani 
These popsicles are so cute, don’t you think? I stamped this card out in a summery color combo; you can find the ink colors I used below:
    •       Pink: Teeny Bikini and Hot Lips
    •       Orange: Sunshine and Orange Slush
    •       Yellow: Lemon Chiffon and Lemon Zing
    •       Mint green: Mint and Mint Candy
    •       Blue: Maliblue and Caribbean Blue
    •       Brown sticks: Paper Bag, Caramel Toffee and Dark Chocolate

Sunny Studio Stamps: Perfect Popsicles and Two Scoops Guest Spotlight Cards by Nina Marie Trapani 

After stamping the popsicles, I also added some of the cute melting drops around the popsicles. This brought out the colors of the popsicles really nicely and I like the additional pop of color!
Sunny Studio Stamps: Perfect Popsicles and Two Scoops Guest Spotlight Cards by Nina Marie Trapani

Next it was time for some dimension, even though this is a one layer card. Because it is also clean and simple, details are important. I used Nuvo white gloss and white blizzard drops from Tonic Studios on the popsicles and melting drops to add that little bit of depth.
You’ll also notice the brown heat embossed sentiment; this was from the Two Scoops set and I stamped it with Dark Chocolate ink. I also added a bit of clear embossing powder on top to create some contrast.


Sunny Studio Stamps: Perfect Popsicles and Two Scoops Guest Spotlight Cards by Nina Marie Trapani

I hope you will check out the two videos below to see how I created both cards. Stamp layering is so much fun, and a perfect way to add color (with detail!) to your cards without having to break out any markers, paints or pencils!

TWO SCOOPS video (watch in HD at YouTube HERE)


PERFECT POPSICLES video (watch in HD at YouTube HERE)


Thanks for visiting me today and a big thank you to Mendi for letting me guest with Sunny Studios today! 

Sunny Studio Supplies Used:
      

There's still a little time to place an order before our mini break.  All orders placed after Sunday night will ship out on June 1st.  


1 comment: